Achieving the Best Results from Sclerotherapy
For the best cosmetic outcome, you may need at least two to three sclerotherapy sessions. Your doctor may also recommend that you wear special wraps around the treated area and elevate your legs. Other post-procedure recommendations include:
- Limit sun exposure
- Minimize the use of aspirin or anti-inflammatory medications
- Avoid aerobic exercise for approximately 48 to 72 hours following treatment
You can also avoid skin discoloration in the affected area by:
- Wrapping the area
- Elevating your affected leg
- Massaging your affected leg
Sclerotherapy Side Effects
Side effects of sclerotherapy may include:
- Allergic reaction
- Ulceration of injection sites
- Slight stinging or burning during injection
- Bruising, which usually fades over the next month
- Brownish skin discoloration, which usually fades
You may also experience a blood clot when your vein shuts down during the injection therapy. Rest assured that these blood clots are not dangerous at all since your body absorbs the vein. They are not the same or as dangerous as blood clots which can occur for other reasons in the deeper veins inside your legs.
Sclerotherapy is generally a very safe and effective procedure. Occasionally, though, it can result in complications such as:
- Phlebitis, which is an inflammation of the vein
- Incomplete elimination of the vein
- Pain or swelling
- Developing new spider veins or varicose veins
If you experience any of these side effects or complications, our team of experienced vascular specialists will work with you to address and resolve them.
Spider Veins After Treatment
Once we treat your spider veins, they are gone forever and will not reappear. It is possible to develop new spider veins in other areas or even in areas that were previously treated.
Insurance Coverage for Sclerotherapy
Most insurance companies consider injection therapy cosmetic and do not provide coverage or reimbursement for it. We will tell you how much the procedure will cost before we schedule it so you can budget accordingly.